Monday, February 19, 2007

Purpose

So, as many of you know, for the past 8 months or so, I have been just going crazy on what I should be doing with my life. Whether I should move away from State College, or stay for a little while. Well, after quite a bit of wisdom from a friend and a word from the Lord that someone gave me, I have come to these conclusions...

Purpose is not found in what you are doing at any given time, occupationally, it is about your identity in Christ and who he made you to be.

Life is about what drives you, not to please yourself, but to become who you should be, and to be who you are. So many people live their lives outside of what they were intended to be. Sitting at a desk everyday when risk and action drives them. Being a manager at a fast food restaurant when they should be touring the country singing.

Sometimes it's fear, sometimes it is people in the past who have told us we couldn't do it, but either way, it is time we live up to our potential.

If you love what you are doing, then you are living inside the design that God had for your life when He made you, on purpose the way he did.

If you have always had the desire to sing, then do it! If you want to take a job position that you are deathly afraid of, then do it! Life without an edge, whatever that looks like to you, is not much of a life at all...

9 comments:

rikki said...

as per your request...

1) LOVE the new look. its 100% sweet and i'm lovin it. bravo, good fellow.

2)amen to living life. there is some truth to the whole carpe diem idea. while you can't be totally outlandish about your choices and just do whatever pops into your head, you can't be so tied down by mediocrity and safety that your mission is hindered. we have to carefully decide our actions, yet at the same time live with an extreme mark on our hearts...that we're willing to do whatever we're called to do, AT THAT MOMENT.

rdubbs said...

good word...thanks for the post :-)

Anonymous said...

well... if you have always had a desire to sing and you actually CAN sing... then you should do it ;) ha.... otherwise i really like this post... :)

Anonymous said...

oh whoops... forgot to sign my name... i wrote the singing comment ;) -Summer Lee:)

rdubbs said...

thanks for the words of wisdom :-)

Nick Olson said...

Love the post, Ryan. I have often found myself struggling with the exact same thing (my purpose/God's will).

You're right ~ God's Will ~ IS ALREADY REVEALED! God's will is how we ought to live according to His revealed word.

As you've eloquently stated, our occupational purpose should be driven by the abilities/interests God has given us....not personal gain ~ but God given fulfillment.

Keep Blogging, brother.

Nick

Nick Olson said...

p.s. ~ you're definitely the mafia.....(i'm the cop)....

rdubbs said...

thanks nick for the comment. I completely agree...

p.s. I am always a townsperson...

Deeg Doreen said...

Ryan~

This is so true. I have learned that fact over the last few months. I have been an alum for about four months and now I am a school teacher full time. In July, a door swung wide open to become a full time teacher at Riverview Elementary in St. Paul working with students with literacy problems. It is amazing! I feel that God places things in our life for a reason and when the time is right doors will either open or shut. I feel that our purpose is not in our jobs but who we are as sons and daugheters of God. I mean your identity should be in what God has for you not because of the title you have.

I feel that God has given each person purpose regardless of how we think and feel. Where you are is only going to be for a season. BTW, love your page kid....you are amazing!